ACHIEVIST: CHARITY BASED TODOLIST
UX Designer - Creator - Product Owner
NGO donators and users of mobile apps
Create a productivity tool that include a possibility of donations to various NGO causes
My passion is to create products that are have value and make impact. That's why I've started with an idea of creating an app that would be a productivity tool that would enable sending donations to NGO causes. I didn't want to create an app that would be purely donation based I wanted to make a donation a motivational reward. The idea is if the user's productivity grows the donations to a good cause too. Make an impact while achieving your own tasks.
I've started with a secondary research focused on mobile donation apps in general. I was curious how the apps work and if is the gamification process used there. The main points I've found out during the secondary research were that donators are looking for a more personal connection and that supporters who made contactless payments tend to give more than the average cash donor.
Goals & Objectives
- To understand why participants donate
- How they donate
- What are the pains during the donation process
- How do they decide to what cause they donate
- If they use mobile apps for donations
- If they know some platforms where the donation is gamified
- Enables to make quick one-off donations to your choice of charity even if you have no cash or are not in an internet zone
- No transaction fees for Snap Donate
- In-app search tool to send donations to over 1300 charities
- Allows you to challenge (make a bet) friends to do something, like lose weight, jump off a diving board, give up smoking, or walk five miles
- If you win the challenge, your friends give a donation to charity if they win, you give
- High gamification approach
- Give $1 per day to your choice of pre-selected charities
- Charities are curated Possibility of setting up a matching gift and urge friends to donate too
- Daily alerts to donate
Share the Meal
- Tap to donate as little as $0.50 to provide a meal for a child
- Encourages giving by comparing your giving with how many meals your friends have given
- Physical connection: between a regular daily activity and donating
As a primary research I've decided to use Surveymonkey. The choice of the participants was random. 50 people filled the form. 28 participants were active donators, majority women above 30 years old. Participants were US based.
Why do you donate to NGO causes?
good feeling, because it's right, giving back to society
What are the ways you donate?
bank transaction, Paypal, cash
How do you select the causes and NGOs?
transparency, actual causes, online research, causes that participants can relate to
What are the pains during the donation process?
worrying if money really goes where it should
when something doesn't work
Do you know mobile apps that you can donate through?
they have a better knowledge of websites
Would you be open to donate through a mobile app?
Would you be open to contribute if the process would be gamified? Imagine that you achieve some targeted goals, so as a reward you would send a donation?
When was the last time you donated and to which cause? What feelings you had before and after making the donation?
this month - average response
How often you donate?
monthly, quarterly, 1/2 year, annualy
How much of an impact do you feel your donation makes?
Interviews: 1 on 1
- Show the transparency, it's really important, the curation of the projects is a must
- Make the process of a donation easy
- Combination of setting up your own goals with helping others sounds like a good strategy
- Creation of personalised feeling is important
- Need of time efficiency
- Participants likes to relate to the cause
- Participants wants to feel that they have done some impact
- Seeing more projects that participants can choose from
- Local projects are interesting
This part of the process included persona creation, empathy map, rough product specs and user flow. I've decided to create these artifacts based on the possible user experience. There is also a possibility to create a strategy for the selected NGO I will be pitching the project too. But I believe, that the priority is still a user in this step.
I've created rough product specs for my colleagues to show how the app's core principles will work.
This part of the process included a creation of the user flow that was based on the results from the persona and empathy map artifacts. The user flow has been changed within the prototype based on the usability feedback I've received.
User Interface Design
The main influence that shaped my decisions regarding to the visual design and branding belonged the fact that based on the research, the main audience would be the female one. I've decided to combine the pastel blue and red colors that are refreshing. Blue color is known for it's reliable feeling and red color has to be the action color that's connected to todolist feeling.
Logo & App Icon
This part of the process included a creation of low fidelity wireframes. I wanted to capture how the concept of the flow will look like. Based on the lowfi's wireframes feedback received I've changed some parts of the flow.
I've done the usability testing with 5 participants. The feedback I've received was very constructive. Among the main things that I've implemented belong the change of causes list grid design, unification of the design, implementing the iOS guidelines or color balancing.
Find the final prototype version here. From the research I've done was obvious that it is important to incorporate a gamification element. Community and Challenges features have been added to support the user engagement. Registered users can challenge each other on their goals and contribute to the causes even more.
Reflection & Next Steps
The Achievist app is a real project that I want to make happen thanks to my colleagues that are already coding the iOS MVP. The idea is to set up a cooperation with an international transparent NGO that consists of various types of projects. Next step to do is to submit the idea to an NGO supporting accelerator that would help us with the coverage of operational and marketing costs.